[MPlayer-users] Concatenating some MPEG files

GD Lewis gdltek1 at dfnow.com
Tue Aug 20 16:20:02 CEST 2002

On Sunday 18 August 2002 07:06 am, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> So this is the way I would concatenate two MPEG files (into Divx), that is
> ok, but why doesnot cat'ing MPEG files doesnot work?

I concatenate mpeg files regularly without a problem.  The thing is, you have
to be certain that the files you are catting are of the same framerate,
bitrate, etc.

This is most successful for multipart mpg files that you want to rejoin.

This also works for avi files as well.  AFAIK, the method that you described
is only copying a mpg encoded file to a different file with an avi extension,
it's not actually changing anything.  The same as if you had just typed -

   mv foo.mpg foo.avi

You could probably use file to verify this.

I'm enclosing a couple of scripts that I wrote specifically for this that may
be of some use.  Use the concat script for mpg's and the catavi for avi
files.

HTH :-)

--
Grant D. Lewis
Running RedHat Linux (Limbo beta) kernel 2.4.18-5.58 on an i686

"Those who define new paradigms for the world are often considered strange at
first."