[MPlayer-users] Re: Problems w/ AC3 pass-through on SB Live!

joy ping joy at pingfm.org
Tue Aug 20 17:34:01 CEST 2002

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 06:03:34AM -0400, Jed Liu wrote:
> Hmmm...after looking at the message archives for this month, I noticed
> that someone already reported a similar problem.  Sorry about that.
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to turn on spdif-playback manually, though.
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

there are several ways to set the spdif-playbackswitch on alsa. one
would be to simply type in:

amixer sset 'IEC958 Optical Raw' on

this is reported to work on a SBlive 5.1. cause there seems to be
several very different creative soundcards called SBlive. it may not
work on your revision, version. if this switch dosen't work for you
check the alsa-docu for howto listing your available switches and look
for something similar like above.
another (more visual) method would be to open alsamixer and look for a
slider like 'IEC958 Optical Raw'. if you found it, umute it (m), push
up the volume if possible and you have switched on your spdif-playback.
the warning message in mplayer will still show up although you have
set your spdif-playback-switch. i know it's silly and confusing but im
not able to change it for now, for reasons i described before.

--
regards

____-
joy