[MPlayer-users] Yikes! Where Did That Feature Go?

Tomar tomar at apricot.com
Wed Aug 21 02:46:01 CEST 2002

First let me state this: I love mplayer. :-) It does more than
I could ever want on my Linux system for playing movies.

Before I had to move and subsequently lost my broadband Internet
mplayer could take any file encoded with any codec, reencoded to
MPEGPES and then pipe it through my DXR3 decoder.  Yes it was
rather expensive on the CPU but the sum effect was that I could
now watch any movie file on my big screen TV.

The command line options I gave were simple as this...

% mplayer somefile.avi -vo dxr3

...and it would just work!  It figured out how to rescale
and convert and did it without my knowledge.  Very handy
and nifty IMHO!

So I had to move which took awhile.  It took even longer to
get decent Internet usage back.  When I finally did one of
the first things I did was a "cvs update" in the mplayer
source. :-) I was bummed to find out that now mplayer now rejects
my attempts to push the video through the decoder card as an
incompatible codec message ("Sorry, selected video_out device is
incompatible with this codec.").

So what happened?  Is there something I can contribute to put
it back the way it was?  Was there a good reason why this
strictness was put in?

Thanks for reading the chatter,
Tom