[MPlayer-users] .OGG (.ogm) subtitles suport

Piotr Krukowiecki piotr at pingu.ii.uj.edu.pl
Wed Aug 21 16:08:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Robert R. Wal wrote:

> On 02.08.21 Piotr Krukowiecki pressed the following keys:
>
> > If anyone wonders what needs to be fixed here's the list:
> > - tags are not supported and not correctly deleted
>
> I'm confused. What are ``tags'' in OGM subtitles?

e.g <i>Text</i>

> > - i have a movie in which text do not disappear after some time (so if
> >   it displays 'blah' and there is not more subs in the movie, 'blah' will
> >   be displayed till the end of movie).
>
> File is badly mastered: subtitles have startpos, but do not
> have end pos. It's fault of subtitle stream, mplayer just does what it's
> told to do.

In all other .ogm with softsubs "erasing" previous subtitle was done by using
' ' subtitle (one space only).

> > - probably connected with the previous: there seems to be some
> >   additional information connected with subs. For example, i have movie
> >   in which from the beggining of the movie till first 'normal' sub text
> >   there is "rbis" text displayed. In other movie at the end text like
> >              659
> >   00:45:06.943 -- 00.45.07.009
> >   is displayed. I don't think it's really put there to be displayed, but
> >   i could ask someone with windows to check it.
>
> This is broken subtitle stream in the movie, from what it looks like.
> The second case clearly shows that there was subtitle:
>
> 659
> 00:45:06.943 -- 00.45.07.009
> [continues with something]
>
> whereas it should be
>
> 659
> 00:45:06.943 --> 00:45:07.009
> [continues...]
>
> Parser (whether it was Ogg Parser direct show filter that created the
> movie, or ogmmux) found broken subtitle header and parsed it according
> to its knowledge.

Hmm, it's "-->", the ">" wasn't displayed because of mentioned tags
removal.

> > - in one of those movies *very* often two near words are displayed
> >   together (for example 'cometo' instead of 'come to'). Maybe because
> >   of not perfect tags removal
>
> This is certainly error in subtitles after OCR from DVD. I have lot's of
> them in my subtitles files.

I don't understand how you can have OCR from DVD, but in that case it the
problem was somewhere else. Explained in the other mail.

--
Piotrek
irc: #debian.pl