[MPlayer-users] Incorrect Aspect Ratio if playing some movies

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Fri Aug 23 01:46:01 CEST 2002

On 02.08.22 Rene Caspari pressed the following keys:

> > > mplayer -aspect 4:3 movie.avi
> > > or -aspect 16:9
> > > etc ?
> > this will not help.
> i was not 100% right, this method helps to correct some movies, but some
> movies will not be corrected.
> it doesn't matter which aspect-ratio or scale-factors i set, the
> movies will be shown stretched.

-aspect is for telling mplayer what was the aspect ratio of original
movie before any operation on it.

In order to view properly some movies on dxr3 I use scale, crop and/or
expand plugin.

Example:

Original movie is 640x272 which is widescreen movie (aspect 1:2.35).
Mplayer would probably play it as 16:9 (distorted horse faces ;), so I
just add -vop expand=640:480:0:104 and mplayer will play it with 4:3
aspect ratio with wide bars above and below.

If I want to cut it to 16:9 aspect ratio (I don't like too much playing
cinema widscreen on TV) I add -vop crop=480:480:80:0,expand=640:480:0:104

I don't remember right now, but I think that you had to set aspect of
original (i.e. before cut) material with -aspect for mplayer to deduce
correct aspect ratio of final video.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35