[MPlayer-users] Re: annoying behavior of tdfxfb

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 23 13:06:02 CEST 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:00:46PM +0200, Marcin Cylke wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:54:07 +0200 (CEST)
> mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
> > yes that idiotic shit prints some messages. so bad. delete it.
>
> I see you don't understand. Messages printed by mplayer are very useful
> thing, but very annoying when appearing while watching a film. It seems
> obvious to me.

This has been discussed several times, you are absolutely right, the
messages are annoying, but that is what fullscreen mode is for..

vo mga does not blank the screen in fullscreen mode..  Can I bribe
somebody into implementing this? ;-)

> > mplayer ... &> /dev/null
>
> Not what I wanted to achieve. I did the same by myself by typing:
> $ mplayer ... >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

That's only the first half.

> It's the same thing.
> But it doesn't help. Yes it cause mplayer to throw all the messages to
> /dev/null, but there is still blinking cursor and the execution command.
> If I run mplayer on a console with lots of text, it doesn't disappear and
> thus the effect is still not good.
>
> I know it was working. I'm using a pre 0.90 verision - from CVS of that
> time and it works great. The messages are not vivsible with option -fs
> enabled and the image goes away when I exit mplayer - with current cvs the
> last frame remains on screen.

That frame remaining on the screen might indeed be considered a bug.

> > is it really so hard to find out?
> > anyway i remember seeing it somewhere in teh docs or faq too
>
> Anyway you could look into problem more carefully, becaue you don't have
> right.
> ... and I read TFM...

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/video.html#fbdev

Use 'setterm -cursor off', best put it in a script together with mplayer
&> /dev/null or something.

Diego