[MPlayer-users] Sound in Gnome.

joy ping joy at pingfm.org
Sat Aug 24 20:50:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 05:55:07PM +0100, Tim Hutt wrote:
> Hey, mplayers much better than xine, but :-) ... there is no esd sound output.
> I tried using SDL by setting that env var to "esd", and using SDL in mplayer.
> It works for about half a second and then crashes. No error messages...

esd is crap, it was crap and it still is. maybe ten years ago it was a
nice feature, but today it is really outdated, it's not maintained for
several years and even the GNOME developers think about to replace it.
i don't know one mplayer-developer who want to add esd
support, at least i don't want do it.
furthermore i don't see any reason for running a sounddaemon while
watching/hearing movies. do you want to hear your mouseclicks while
running mplayer?
switch off esd and use OSS or alsa.

--
regards