[MPlayer-users] Re: I wrote a mencoder mini-guide for DVD ripping

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Aug 25 19:57:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 10:34:28AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> hmm, so i need ~0.9537mbit to store 1mbit which i downloaded

You don't measure storage in bits (unless you're a stupid Nintendo PR
person trying to make your games look big :).

> > Granted there is still a *little* ambiguity, but it's no big deal.
> well its a big deal, IMHO any ambiguity is, as for example 1kb could mean 2

I addressed that in the last paragraph of my post. There must be
ambiguity in some things; otherwise you have to learn millions of
different symbols. The idea is that you use the same symbol when the
context will distinguish the exact meaning, but where there's a
conceptual similarity between the two. Or at least that's what we do
in mathematics. Some people try to add extra notation to make
distinctions, but usually it just comes across as condescending, and I
get the same feeling with this kibi nonsense.

> btw, how many bits per g does a 40Gb HD have which weighs 3.25Kg

Who on earth would ask this question??? :)

Rich