[MPlayer-users] mp3 licensing

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Thu Aug 29 00:27:01 CEST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 29. August 2002 04.08 schrieb gabor:
> yes, according to other sources the licensing
> terms changed last in 2001.8 .... so nothing new..
> i think the reason why people has begun discussing this is the fact
> that redhat removed all mp3-players from his new distro...

Not quite. As far as I understand the situation, the licence had an
exemption for non-commercial software, which has been removed now.

That's just hearsay, of course, but it would explain RedHat's reaction.

Anyway, I don't think this will be a legal problem for MPlayer as is.
Maybe, distributors might get troubles.

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    I'm breaking for DAUs, too!       x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \