[MPlayer-users] dts decoder?

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Sat Aug 31 00:08:01 CEST 2002

Am Freitag, 30. August 2002 15.42 schrieb Jason Bishop:
> is there a dts decoder anywhere?

Not a free one. Actually, I don't know of any at all. Xine only
delivers DTS to an external decoder.

The problem is, that
a) you have to pay a quite hefty sum for a DTS-license
b) a DVD with DTS tracks must have the same track in AC3, MP2 oder PCM
   as well by specification.

Even if you create a free decoder like a52dec, it will cost you a big
deal of time. Since most people won't recognize the difference between
AC3 and DTS, it's not a must have feature as well.

--> Developers are less then excited about supporting DTS.

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    I'm breaking for DAUs, too!       x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \