[MPlayer-users] Slow zr output driver

Ray ray at sonictech.net
Sun Dec 1 06:54:06 CET 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 05:07:12PM +0100, rsnel at cube.dyndns.org wrote:
> Hello Ray,
>
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Ray wrote:
> > I'm attempting to use the zr (zoran) output driver to play some movies but I
> > am getting the "Your system is too SLOW to play this!" message and sure
> > enough the playback is slow and audio goes out of sync.  I realize that this
> > driver requires a fair bit of cpu to do it's job but when I look at the
> > output of top it looks like mplayer is only using around 50% of one cpu
> > (this is a dual cpu box).  If I've got plenty of cpu cycles left then what
> > could be slowing me down?  Also other output drivers such as xv don't seem
> > to have any problems so I don't think it's an issue with the file I'm
> > playing or the audio driver.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> Well, this is strange, does it happen with all your video files?

Yes, I've tried dvds, mpeg4 files, mjpegs, and raw yuv files.

> How fast are your CPUs?

They're Celerons running at 500MHz.  I really didn't expect these to be fast
enough but I did expect at least one of them to be pegged or nearly so.

> What happens with -framedrop, or if you use a different

-framedrop fixes the speed problem but it looks like it is dropping lots of
-frames.

> audio output driver (alsa9,oss,null)? You seem to have plenty of CPU
> cycles left, I suspect the audiodriver, but then you should also have
> problems during normal (-vo x11 or xv) playback.

It seems to happen with -noaudio as well, (actually the "Your system is too
SLOW..." message goes away but it still takes roughly 2 minutes to play a
30s clip.

--
Ray