[MPlayer-users] Encoding quality advices

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Dec 1 17:37:03 CET 2002

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 10:45:24AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> [..]
> Your argument would make sense if it were a difference of 10-20%. As
> it stands, it's the difference between getting a horrible encode that
> looks worse than DivX4, and an amazing excellent encode that beats
> even the release group kiddies with their hacked up DivX3+NanDub.
i guess we're having different points of view here. maybe i should
show you some stuff i've encoded. i'd say "hey, looks good!" and you'd
be possibly crying "oh my god, 700 megs! i can do that with 300" ;)

> Essentially you HAVE TO tweak the options to get a good encode, unless
> you use very high bitrate (only works for short movies or if you don't
> mind spanning multiple CDs) or you scale the movie down a lot (looks
> bad).
i guess i'm one of the guys who raise the bitrate instead of setting other
options in a more useful way.

> In short, making DVD rips takes a lot of work to get right, and
> people who are not willing to RTFM *AND* experiment a lot on their own
> to figure out what works best for their movie should NOT be doing it.
you're right, if i was to make a really good rip, i really should try
hard, rtfm, experiment, compare and i guess the quality would be really
great. on the other hand, you can't prevent users (like me) from doing
not so intelligent things and even if you think that i should not be
doing it that way (which i can understand) - i will still do it ;)
don't get me wrong, though i am not using perfect settings, i am happy
with the stuff i produce and actually i am impressed by the quality
of the files and i would never complain about the quality before i had
not tested various switches and rtfmed before.

regards,
	wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/