[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding quality advices

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sun Dec 1 18:43:08 CET 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 17:50, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> So this people should use windows! If mplayer does not have this feature
> it's fine: developers won't be disturbed by questions and feature requests
> from stupid people. Instead these people will use braindead softwares,
> smart people use smart softwares and I think this is the right way ...

What bad does it do, if mplayer has this feature? I mean for you guys who know
what's what the whole command line will stay that way- but this user merely
asked for some possibility to make the whole process a _bit_ easier!
I know, there probably are solutions for these people, but why do you tell
this guy then he should use Windows instead of trying these existing
solutions??
I don't generally mean mplayer, but what I am addressing is the attitude to
have people use windows in order to be left alone.
Of course, if your software is more difficult at first the newbies will have
questions and ask you. But if you look on how loud people scream "Linux is
cool .. Slashdort RULZZZZZ" and how much support some people who really are
willing to switch to Linux receive, I can understand why they turn from this
system with disappointed faces and go back to Windows.

> Guess, why RedHat is so popular? Because it's braindead superb-etc-GUI
> featured shit ...

FULL ACK, I would count SuSE to this statement as well ;)

> But because of these people I was forced to install/administrate RedHat at
> my workplace.
> If stupid people remain using windows and not to try to use something
> advanced (like a UNIX OS) I'm not forced to do ANYTHING with them so I'm
> happy. That's so simple.

You are comparing apples with eggs. While on mplayer some nice presets etc
would not change anything how you would encode movies, redhat has a gui that
the redhat people think is so superior they do not pay any attention anymore
on how to make the system a good one for adminstrators that choose to only
use a command line.
That's why I personally prefer Debian =).

> Maybe my mail seems to be a bit agressive, sorry but I'm very angry with
> this whole issue ...

Don't worry. This list is also for discussion, not for Teletubbie sunshine
people.

--
 - Thilo Schulz