[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding quality advices

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sun Dec 1 20:14:02 CET 2002

On Sunday 01 December 2002 19:27, Yourself wrote:
> TS> [snip]. But what the open source community is
> TS> about, giving everybody a nice usable system that they do not need to
> learn TS> for hours how it works before they can use it, where is this
> ideal?

OpenSource community != Open Source. The community is there to help people to
get into this huge pool of software, not for being a small elite group of
people who have the time to work for hours into all of these tools.

> i'm sure we can enlarge the list as much as we like, but the thing is
> that to my experience, open source is about quality, efficiency, and of
> course availability to everyone.

> I agree that mencoder is "difficult", but it is its power and
> flexibility that introduces this. and I prefer difficult and flexible to
> easy and simplistic.

Why then, not have some means of both? Providing an easy simplistic interface
does not mean the difficult to manage but flexible one has to be put aside.

> ease of use is the bet of closed source. And what a bet! They gain
> millions of $$ every day!

Yes, for this is exactly the reason, why fine people have to spend hours and
hours into coding support for some closed source codecs.

--
 - Thilo Schulz