[MPlayer-users] Newbie Q: Trying to make Mplayer work with Nvidia

Magnus Eriksson datateknik.eriksson at telia.com
Wed Dec 4 23:54:02 CET 2002

Hi,

I am new to Linux, X-windows and everything in this compiling world
However I do have lots of knowledge and experience from the ms world.

I was downloading mplayer because I needed a mediaplayer and since the
xmms that followed my distribution sucks bigtime !

I have been using this mplayer for about 2 weeks now and have read about
every documentation file that exists. My estimate would be about 10-15
docs. No where in the docs can a looser like me find some helpful
information about configure and compiling for some nice GUI.

Me, from the ms world are used to GUI, but have never seen so smooth
playback and forward/reverse on a PC that this mplayer provide.

Well I downloaded the RPM package to try this program out, it worked at
once of course but since the rpm was not built with gui support I has to
make it myself.

After reading every docs, I cant hardly wait to try every feature out. I
have never in my life seen a program so potent like this !!

Well that should be enough bull, let me get to my problem.
I have RedHat 8.0 and have installed pretty much all the package by the
time writing this. I have a GeForce 4 video card and had to download
nvidias tar-files and recompile my kernel or something. Well it worked
my X-window, (XFree 4.x with gnome) is much faster now and now mplayer
rpm works too :)

When I run ./Configure --enable-gui it says it doesnt find any X11
drivers or something. I read that you could use xv or so ??
I ran xvinfo and a lot of shit was supported. More than stated in the
docs.

I am very frustrated after looking on all nice screenshot of those who
have succeed in compiling their mplayer.

Could somebody help me out and explain step-by-step ??
I am not a complete fool, but as one can be so good at other operating
system and a complete idiot at other, it seems awfully frustrating.

Please somebody help me !?

I really like this program, it rocks!

Regards.
Magnus