[MPlayer-users] Newbie Q: Trying to make Mplayer work with Nvidia

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Thu Dec 5 00:23:02 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 22:20, Magnus Eriksson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Linux, X-windows and everything in this compiling world
> However I do have lots of knowledge and experience from the ms world.
>
> I was downloading mplayer because I needed a mediaplayer and since the
> xmms that followed my distribution sucks bigtime !
>
> I have been using this mplayer for about 2 weeks now and have read about
> every documentation file that exists. My estimate would be about 10-15
> docs. No where in the docs can a looser like me find some helpful
> information about configure and compiling for some nice GUI.
>
> Me, from the ms world are used to GUI, but have never seen so smooth
> playback and forward/reverse on a PC that this mplayer provide.
>
> Well I downloaded the RPM package to try this program out, it worked at
> once of course but since the rpm was not built with gui support I has to
> make it myself.
>
> After reading every docs, I cant hardly wait to try every feature out. I
> have never in my life seen a program so potent like this !!
>
> Well that should be enough bull, let me get to my problem.
> I have RedHat 8.0 and have installed pretty much all the package by the
> time writing this. I have a GeForce 4 video card and had to download
> nvidias tar-files and recompile my kernel or something. Well it worked
> my X-window, (XFree 4.x with gnome) is much faster now and now mplayer
> rpm works too :)
>
> When I run ./Configure --enable-gui it says it doesnt find any X11
> drivers or something. I read that you could use xv or so ??
> I ran xvinfo and a lot of shit was supported. More than stated in the
> docs.
>
> I am very frustrated after looking on all nice screenshot of those who
> have succeed in compiling their mplayer.
>
> Could somebody help me out and explain step-by-step ??
> I am not a complete fool, but as one can be so good at other operating
> system and a complete idiot at other, it seems awfully frustrating.

ok, so you want to compile it....

i assume you downloaded the source... i assume you downloaded the latest
pre-release...

unpacked it,
and now you start ./configure --enable-gui

pleaze give us the complete error what the configure script says,

i think you don't have the XFree86-devel package installed, so install
it...

then run ./configure --enable-gui again, and tell us what happened..

nearly every rpm package has  a -devel part too, which is needed when
you want to compile a program which uses that package...

like i'm sure you have the package XFree86 installed, but now we are
compiling a program which uses XFree86, so we need XFree86-devel
installed, too...

try, and tell if it worked or not.

bye,
gabor