[MPlayer-users] About CVCD

Santiago Muelas smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
Thu Dec 5 18:04:02 CET 2002

Many thanks to all those that have given me some hints on this subject.
Myself, after some information on the web-page of VCDSpain, I think that I can give an interesting resume.
After reading the information I realize that it could be possible (and simple) to do it with "mencvcd" and I did. The whole idea is just to "make a SVCD with the screen size of a VCD". Something so simple has very big advantages. The biggest is to increase the space that can be included in a CD. With VCD and a standard 700M CD, it is possible to include 80 min. of film. With this new system, this amount is increased by 50%. So a whole 2 hours film in one CD.
The second advantage is that the quality is improved. The film is not at the level of a SVCD but far better than a standard VCD. It is more or less like a divX with the same screen size (352x288).
As I am not an expert, I don't know exactly the reason of all that. I guess that VCD uses ALWAYS mpeg1 as codif. and SVCD mpeg2.
What is true is that normal SVCD's don't need double space for the same movie as "normal" VCD, just a 20% or so more.
Finally, the third important advantage is the codif-time. In my computer, one Athlon at 1513Mh, it takes more or less one and one half times the lenght of the movie. SVCD needs five times.
If someone with more knowledge than myself, tries it and finds new ideas and/or advices to give me, please do it. It can be very convenient for many people.
Excuse me for the length of this mail.
Regards