[MPlayer-users] Re: funky newbie problem

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 5 18:48:07 CET 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:07:01AM -0500, Michael Waters wrote:
> I uploaded a sample of one bad spot to /incoming a while back and
> mentioned it here.  There's also several seconds of landscape shots

lavc_enc_prob*? I'm looking at it now, and I have some comments. First
of all, the source material is VERY grainy (lots of high frequency
noise), which is very bad for low bitrate encoding. Applying some sort
of blurring filter before encoding, or scaling down further, is
probably a good idea.

With that said, I've had relative success encoding it myself. The
commands I used were the following, but you could probably go ahead
and use bitrate 800 on the first pass if you don't care about the
pass1 filesize coming out too big.

mencoder lavc_enc_prob-original.avi -vop scale=656:352 -lavcopts \
vbitrate=720:vhq:vratetol=500000:vqcomp=0.9:v4mv:vcelim=9:vpass=1

mencoder lavc_enc_prob-original.avi -vop scale=656:352 -lavcopts \
vbitrate=800:vhq:vratetol=500000:vqcomp=0.9:v4mv:vcelim=9:vpass=2

Results are very good. One interesting thing I found, though, is that
vlelim seems to negatively impact encoding this movie, so I left it
out. If you still have trouble using these command lines, you should
probably check and make sure you're not using an evil broken version
of gcc or something.

Rich