[MPlayer-users] sound jitters

Roland Häder mplayer at autoinstaller.de
Sat Dec 7 01:05:02 CET 2002

On Friday 06 December 2002 23:37, mplayer at mutley.uklinux.net wrote:
> MPlayer 0.90pre10-2.95.3 installed real easy from the source code.
> I'm a simply soul. I just want to play some mpeg2 files.
> The video play smoothly, but the sound has a jitter on it.
> I've an Athlon 1700+ on an ASUS A7S333 I've tried using SBLive and the on
> board CM815 audio. Both have the same weird low freqency jitter on the
> sound.
>
> I can play CD's, mp3, wav, watch XawTV without sound problems.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Well, let me tell you a small story from my High-End system:

I have found out a strange thing inside the ALSA system:

I downloaded, compiled, installed and configured with success the 0.9-rc6
release but when I play a simple MOD file (xmp) he tries to use the AWE from
SB-16 cards and makes ugly sound.
I got fixed this problem here with a really unconventional trick: (you have to
compile and imnstall all modules from ALSA!)

modprobe -akv snd-sbawe
modprobe -akv awe_wave

Then I tried again to play a MOD and here we go! It works fine.

Maybe this ALSA-issue is "confusing" or re-affecting the mplayer?

Maybe mplayer has found a non-existing SB-16 AWE and tries to use it?

Just an idea.

Roland

PS: OSS makes too bad output, I have tested it with several games. I went back
to ALSA. :)

Heads up, kids! Linux will win against this small well-known company in
Richmond... ;)