[MPlayer-users] smooth looping with mplayer

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sun Dec 8 02:22:02 CET 2002

D Richard Felker III writez;
 :: On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:23:09PM -0800, Dean S. Messing wrote:
 :: > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
 :: >
 :: > I hope this is not a "RTFM" (which I have diligently tried to do!) question.
 :: >
 :: > I have some short, experimental, research clips (mostly
 :: > raw/uncompressed .avi files) on which I wish to loop indefinately for
 :: > some visual experiments.  I know about `-loop 0' but it is not doing
 :: > what I want.  With `-loop 0', mplayer seems to "restart" at the end of
 :: > the clip which makes it (and the video sequence) flash annoyingly.  Also
 :: > the display window is repositioned from where I moved it.
 ::
 :: -fixed-vo. It might crash though with broken vo drivers.

Thanks Rich for your help!  Your suggestion helps a lot
but I'm not "there" yet

Several questions arise (pls remember I'm an mplayer newbie who has tried
to read the docs but its a pretty overwhelming task. :-)

1. Where is -fixed-vo documented?  I don't see it in my man or web
   pages.  (My CVS (CVS-021202-17:05-3.2) is the very latest but its
   pretty current.

2. -fixed-vo does, indeed prevent the display window from being killed
   and re-drawn, but it does not prevent mplayer from going through
   some startup stuff at beginning of each loop iteration.  So the
   avi stops momentarily as mplayer prints startup info to the screen
   and then starts again.  Essentially, the window is not killed and re-drawn
   but the sequence is not played perfectly  smoothly either.

3. Number 2 is _not_ strictly true.  In fact, upon startup, mplayer draws
   a window in the upper left corner of the screen.  Then, at the beginning
   of the first loop the window is killed and redrawn at the middle
   of screen 0.  All loops after that don't redraw the window---it
   stays put at mid-screen0 for the duration.  Why this behaviour?

   Note that I'm running two screens in xinerama---actually I'm
   using nvidia's "twinview" which enables xinerama w/in X.)

4. The -geometry flag seems to have no effect.  (Aside: I tried the
   "-hue" and "-satuation" flags just for fun and they don't seem to
   have an effect either but that's not "on topic" right now.

Ok I have many more questions but we'll stop here for now.

The input .avi file was made by a colleague from 120 raw .rgb files.
MPlayer plays it flawlessly after

Here is the commandline I'm using:

   mplayer -geometry 25%:25% -loop 0 -fixed-vo -nofs -xineramascreen 1 \
            lady_bench_circ_120frm_400x493.avi

Here is the output I get on each loop:

   Playing lady_bench_circ_120frm_400x493.avi
   Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    Detected AVI file format!
   AVI_NI: No Audio stream found...  ->  no sound
   AVI: No Audio stream found...  ->  no sound
   VIDEO:  []  400x493  24bpp  30.00 fps  141984.0 kbps (17332.0 kbyte/s)
   Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
   VDec: vo config request - 400 x 493 (preferred csp: BGR 24-bit)
   Couldn't find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
   Opening video filter: [scale]
   Sorry, selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
   VDecoder init failed :(
[...]
   VDec: using BGR 24-bit as output csp (no 0)
   Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
   VO: [xv] 400x493 => 400x493 BGR 24-bit  [flip]
   Selected video codec: [rawbgr24] vfm:raw (RAW BGR24)
   Audio: no sound!!!
   Start playing...
   V:   4.0  120   0% 10%  0.0% 0 0 0%

Not sure what all the "VDecoder init failed :(" messsages are.
Mplaye seems to finally settle on the "right thing" at the end.

Question: what commandline flag do I give to make it know the right decoder
          straight off?

System Information:

  * Linux distribution:
        o Mdk 9.0
  * kernel version:
       Linux medulla 2.4.19-16mdksmp #1 SMP Wed Sep 24 12:26:01 EDT 2003
        i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
  * libc version:
       /lib/libc-2.2.5.so
  * X version:
       XFree86 Version 4.2.1
  * gcc and ld versions:
      gcc -v:
       Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/athlon-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
       gcc version 3.2 (Mandrake Linux 9.0 3.2-4mdk)
      ld -v:
       GNU ld version 2.12.90.0.15 20020717
  * binutils version:
       GNU assembler 2.12.90.0.15 20020717
  * Window manager type and version
       KDE 3.0.3
       xinerama enabled (via nvidia twinview)

Hardware & drivers:

  * CPU info (this works on Linux only):
         processor         : 0
             vendor_id     : AuthenticAMD
             cpu family    : 6
             model         : 6
             model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) MP 1500+
             stepping      : 2
             cpu MHz       : 1333.410
             cache size    : 256 KB
             fdiv_bug      : no
             hlt_bug       : no
             f00f_bug      : no
             coma_bug      : no
             fpu           : yes
             fpu_exception : yes
             cpuid level   : 1
             wp            : yes
             flags         : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
                             sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx
                             fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
             bogomips      : 2660.76

          processor        : 1
             same thing as processor 0.
  * Video card manufacturer and model, e.g.:
        VisionTex Xtasy (Chip: nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4600, 128 MB DDR ram)
  * Video driver type & version:
        NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
        NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123