[MPlayer-users] smooth looping with mplayer

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sun Dec 8 03:19:03 CET 2002

 :: Hi,
 ::
 :: > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
 :: >
 :: > I hope this is not a "RTFM" (which I have diligently tried to do!) question.
 :: >
 :: > I have some short, experimental, research clips (mostly
 :: > raw/uncompressed .avi files) on which I wish to loop indefinately for
 :: > some visual experiments.  I know about `-loop 0' but it is not doing
 :: > what I want.  With `-loop 0', mplayer seems to "restart" at the end of
 :: > the clip which makes it (and the video sequence) flash annoyingly.  Also
 :: > the display window is repositioned from where I moved it.
 ::
 :: mplayer -loop 0 filename (looping playlist)  will restart every time, but
 :: mplayer filename -loop 0 (looping single file) won't.
 ::
 :: A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Excellent!  Even better than the -fixed-vo advice.  But this
introduces another problem.  At the beginning of each loop, after the
first run-through, "white bars" [|||||||||] get inserted in the playing
video for half a second or so.  I don't see an option to inhibit
these.  Is there a way to turn this off.

Thanks so much for your help.

(It goes without saying that MPlayer is just superb!  Looks like it
will be a wonderful tool for our research here at Sharp Laboratories
(Sharp Corp.'s U.S.  Research Laboratory).

                                Dean S. Messing
                                Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
                                Information Systems Technologies Dept.
                                Sharp Laboratories of America
                        E-Mail: deanm at sharplabs.com