[MPlayer-users] Unable to play some DVDs (pre10 / RC1)

James Green jg at jmkg.net
Wed Dec 11 00:36:02 CET 2002

Hi all,

Using pre10 and rc1, I have two DVDs that no longer play in mplayer. I
note that MWN #1 mentions this problem, but I have tried the -demuxer
<1-24> fix which did not resolve the matter. Most of my DVDs play fine.
Here we go then with `mplayer -dvd 1`:

g at cyberstorm:~$ mplayer -dvd 1
Using GNU internationalization
Original domain: messages
Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
Current domain: mplayer
Current dirname: /usr/share/locale

MPlayer 0.90pre10-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 PM Palomino/Athlon MP
Multiprocessor/Athlon XP eXtreme Performance (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Reading /home/jg/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 44 audio & 110 video codecs
Font /home/jg/.mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system
startup scripts.
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /home/jg/.mplayer/input.conf : No such file
or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file
or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Playing DVD title 1
Using CSS Key-cache dir: /home/jg/.mplayer/DVDKeys/DVDVOLUME
Reading disc structure, please wait...
There are 10 titles on this DVD.
There are 2 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
DVD successfully opened!
Encrypted stream but you did not request authentication!!
Detected MPEG-PS file format!
[...]
MPEG: No Audio stream found...  ->  no sound
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 2)  25.00 fps  11250.0 kbps (1406.2
kbyte/s)
vo: X11 running at 1280x960 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0" => local
display)
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred csp: Mpeg PES)
Couldn't find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
Sorry, selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder v2.0
libmpeg2: Using MMXEXT for IDCT transform
libmpeg2: Using MMXEXT for motion compensation
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 576 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 720x576 => 768x576 Planar YV12
Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm:libmpeg2 (MPEG 1 or 2)
Audio: no sound!!!
Start playing...
V:   0.1    2   0%  0%  0.0% 0 0 0%

Exiting... (End of file)
jg at cyberstorm:~$

and with -demuxer 1:

jg at cyberstorm:~$ mplayer -dvd 1 -demuxer 1
[...]

Detected MPEG-ES file format!
[...]
@@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
@@@ libmpeg2 returned from sig11... (bad file?) @@@
V:   0.7   17   0%  9%  0.0% 0 0 0%

Exiting... (End of file)

The window here opened for little less than one second before
disappearing, which is little less then one second better than the first
attempt!

Other -demuxer values end up:

Start playing...
V:   0.1    2   0%  0%  0.0% 0 0 0%

Exiting... (End of file)

Or:

DVD successfully opened!
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the
author! ===

Exiting... (End of file)

So I am now at a loss. I'm on Debian Sid, and I compile mplayer from
released sources. I did not have this problem with older versions,
however since then I have completely reinstalled my PC onto a new hard
disk, so I'm not sure whether the problem is mplayer or my set up!

Any advice appreciated.

Kind regards,

James Green