[MPlayer-users] error trying to play a DVD

Jeffrey Hammel jhammel at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Dec 11 07:30:03 CET 2002

>From: gabor <gabor at realtime.sk>
>
>> I must be missing something -- when I hit Reply using pine, it assumes
>> that I reply to the whole message:  that is, the subject is MPlayer-users
>> Digest (...), and if I quote, the whole thing is quoted.  Is this just
>> that pine does not support threads, or ??? Sorry, I know this is OT but I
>> figured I'd ask before getting yelled at in the future (or possibly,
>> asking TO get yelled at ;) )
>> In any case, if I broke any threads with this message, I apologize in
>> advance.  I did hit Reply.  The subject and response was cut+pasted "by
>> hand".  So does this message follow "the rules", or, if not any
>> suggestions?  I can't believe I'm the only pine (l)user out there...maybe
>> just the most clueless.

>actually i don't exactly remember what did you wrong :)
hopefully nothing ;)

>but the normal scenario is this:

>someone reads the mails from a thread .....

>and then he wants to post a new mail ( not in that thread ), so he hits
><reply> on a mail from that thread, and erases the subject field and
>writes there something else.
>then he writes the mail, sends it and thinks:
>i removed the "Re: something" subject, so everyone will know that this
>is a new topic.
>the problem is that mails have headers, like subject, from, to,
>whatever. and there is a header called message-id ( for example for your
>mail it's
>"Pine.SOL.4.44.0212101344200.4374-100000 at argus.EECS.Berkeley.EDU".
>and when i send this reply, the mail client adds a header to my mail:
>in-reply-to:Pine.SOL.4.44.0212101344200.4374-100000 at argus.EECS.Berkeley.EDU.
>this way when this mail reaches the mailing list, everyone's mail client
>will know where to put this mail.

>the problem is that now that mail which has a completely different
>subject+text+meaning will get sorted into the thread where the original
>mail was.
So what about this one?  I clicked (typed) Reply, and it replies to thw
hoel message (9 or 10) "real" messages...i.e. mplayer-users at whatnot
I edit the subject line, and I send.  Is this bad?

>it's bad for 2 things:
>1. it irritates people reading that thread
>2. some people, who doesn't like that thread will delete the whole
>thread => this way deleting that message with other subject too..
Again, is my current method of replying wrong? Please let me know.  I
reply to the whole list and change subject header.  I realize I'm not
being very scientific, but  trying top conserve text on an OT
conversation.  Should I mail you outside the list to figure this out?'
Thanks.

Jeff