[MPlayer-users] Change Aspect Ratio

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Dec 11 17:27:03 CET 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 12:48:26PM -0300, "Germán G. Estévez" wrote:
>    Thank you to all for the answers and for the jokes. You are right,
> is not sense to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 without cut the
> borders, but how make the television versions 4:3 of widescreen movies,
> I believe that versions are not cutted, perhaps I am mistaken, perhaps I
> imagene that.
>   The conclusion from that you say is that the version of widescreen
> movies that broadcast in TV are cutted ?.

Yes. However, they don't always just cut the same amount off both
sides; usually someone adjusts the cutting per-scene, and sometimes
the visible region even pans during a scene. Also I imagine they
sometimes scale it a bit and mess up the aspect if they need to fit
something that's just slightly too wide on the screen.

Rich