[MPlayer-users] Change Aspect Ratio

DEBERT Jean-Louis jl.debert at rsd.com
Wed Dec 11 17:45:03 CET 2002

"Germán G. Estévez" wrote:

>      Thank you to all for the answers and for the jokes. You
>  are right,
>  is not sense to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3
>  without cut the
>  borders, but how make the television versions 4:3 of
>  widescreen movies,
>  I believe that versions are not cutted, perhaps I am
>  mistaken, perhaps I
>  imagene that.
>     The conclusion from that you say is that the version of
>  widescreen
>  movies that broadcast in TV are cutted ?.

Well, not necessarily: you can see for yourself that such movies
usually play with black bars above and under the movie. You don't
believe that the black bars are part of the movie, do you ?
So you can have 16:9 aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen, at the price
of losing part of the screen (not entirely lost at that, since
you can put TV channel logo, subtitles, etc, in the black bars).
Note that mplayer can do exactly the same thing, and in most cases
does it automatically...

In the real case of TV broadcast it's probably a mixture of the two:
black bars above and below _and_ a bit of cutting on the sides.