[MPlayer-users] Using mencoder to create Windows- and MacOS-friendly movies

January Weiner 3 jweiner1 at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 13 09:46:02 CET 2002

> > What works is simple transcoding of the avi file to mpeg, with
> > transcode -i file.avi -o file -y mpeg; however, the produced file has a
> > frame rate of 25 fps, which is about 2.5 times as much as the original avi
> > file, and no option to transcode seems to change it.  This is as close as I
> > could get to a video you can actually watch from any cybercafe terminal :-(
>
> OK, how about using -ovc vfw and encoding it with some old junky VFW
> codec?

Hmmmmm, this gives me an error message - "No VfW codec specified! It's
required!".  Well, man mencoder -> search for vfw -> nothing relevant
found; grep -i vfw /usr/share/doc/packages/mplayer/*, same (only playback
relevant information).  OK: no idea how to specify the vfw codec or where
to find it's name.

> Or you could try sticking with libavcodec and using
> vcodec=msmpeg4v2 or vcodec=wmv1 and see if either of those is playable
> on windows.

I haven't tried it on Windows yet (Windows is scarse at my institute), but
with QuickTime Player it doeth not work.

j.

Biologists do it with clones. Molecular biologists do it with hot probes.