[MPlayer-users] new ALSA9 code

Vladimir I. Umnov samba at ezmail.ru
Sat Dec 14 22:37:13 CET 2002

Hello, gabor.

Sorry for last duplicate message.

g> what does it mean that don't work..give a better description of the
g> error
HW: SBLive OEM (rev 7)
    Analog Speakers
SW: RedHat 7.3
    GCC 3.2
    Latest CVS mplayer
    Kernel 2.4.20 or Kernel 2.5.50

Cases:
1) Windows native creative driver: all works fine
2) Windows kx driver: I can't here any sound in Center/LFE in all
cases (I try 1.5 hours switch all that I see).
1-2) Why in ac3 decoders "4" and "6" channels choises disabled? Only
works SP/DIF, that play all 6 channels correctly.
3) OSS kernel driver | opensource.creative.com driver:
- "-channels 2" works fine
- "-channels 4" works fine only with opensource.creative.com
driver, Center/LFE mixed into 4 channels;
- "-channels 6" works like -channels 4, but Center/LFE not hearable.
  May be on my card center/lfe channels not standart. With emu10k
  script file in ac97 mixer appends "mix" for center channel and it
  don't work too.

g> i have a mandrake-2.4.20-kernel, and it works.
g> simply "mplayer -ao oss -channels 6 my.avi"
I try play DVD or vob files with last (2 hours ago) cvs build.

g> did you try with the default drivers from the kernel?
yes, this was a first try.

g> do they work?
no, they can't reproduce more than 2 channels.

AFAIK, emu10k1 has hardware ac3 decoder, which can route decoded sound
to analog or send through SPDIF. I think, that SPDIF in windows
applications means, that sound sent to this hw ac3 decoder. Is it
right or I think wrong?

 Vladimir I. Umnov                          mailto:samba at ezmail.ru