[MPlayer-users] Re: Constant Visual Quality

Angel angel at knight-industries.com
Sun Dec 15 09:10:03 CET 2002

> No. Constant quantizer == every frame gets the same per-frame
> quantizer. vqmin and vqmax is used when you specify a target global
> bitrate.

Thanx for clarifying. Then my original inquiry stands... is there any chance
that lavc will in the future support the ablity to specify an average
per-frame quantizer with the ability to limit the range with vqmin and vqmax.
The main reason I would find this very useful is because in my case I'm not
really worried about the final file size or the bitrate. I would just prefer
not to waste bits encoding scenes with a higher qscale then is necessary. If
I could specify an average per-frame quantizer that would be very much like
being able to specify a certain visual quality level.

-Angel