[MPlayer-users] Support for PALM norm in TV capturing?

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Mon Dec 16 10:49:02 CET 2002

Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:

>Yes, I have tried
>
>  mencoder \
>    -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=palm:width=768:height=576 \
>    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 \
>    -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64 \
>    -vop pp=lb,crop=720:540:24:18 \
>    -o output.avi
>
>which gives some error messsages. After removing the -vop option from
>the command above, it works.

The above is suited for capturing PAL, not NTSC. 720x540 exceeds the
maximum dimensions for PAL-M which has the NTSC image format (640x480).
You should replace width=768:height=576 with width=640:height=480 and
crop= with something smaller to get rid of the crap at the margins.

>As I am new to mplayer, I do not know how to use it well yet. The above
>command was based on an example from the manual.
>
>Another question: is it possible to watch TV while recording? How?

currently not.

>Thanks for the help.
>
>Romildo

Regards,