[MPlayer-users] Readahead == total crap ?

Mike Razhov mrazhov at mail.ru
Thu Dec 19 07:17:02 CET 2002

I tried following the advice given in the Mplayer Doc, to increase
the readahead setting of the CD-ROM drive.  I find it actually
dramatically worsens things if I enable this.  If read-ahead is
its default, 8, playback is quite smooth, only giving a couple
of very little freezes per 2-hr DVD movie.  If I increase read-
ahead, what will happen is it spin the DVD or VCD for a couple of
moments, then play for some time (no disk activity), then freeze
completely to read the next chunk from the disk (amount of time
proportional to the value of readahead... 5 or 6 seconds with
the suggested 2M), then play again, and so on.

Anyone else experienced this?