[MPlayer-users] Speed problem [Feature Request]

Salvador Castromil Martínez castrom at attglobal.net
Thu Dec 19 15:23:02 CET 2002

El Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:08:00PM +0100, Moritz Bunkus dijo:
> Hi.
>
> You must be root to change the process priority to real time (more
> general: to change decrease its nice value). And as the documentation
> state: running mplayer as root is BAD.

	Yes, but It must be your choice. And it is not too much work.

	Anyway, I didn't thing that you don't leave time to the rest of the
process to run. Then if you are using a sound daemon it will not have
time to play it unless it is in the real time scheduler too (and with
more or the same priority). And, If you are using a video output that
needs some CPU time it will not be able of put it on the screen. I am
always thinking in a small machine because a big one do not need that
switch (but the mine).

	For example, in may case with -vo xmga -ao oss is very useful.

	bye,

	S.

--
 Salvador Castromil Martínez