[MPlayer-users] bug report on the vesa:vidix driver

Roberto De Leo deleo at unica.it
Sat Dec 21 11:59:03 CET 2002

  Hi,
I found a bug while playing certain mpg and avi files with the "-vo
vesa:vidix" video driver: right after the file starts playing, mplayer
dies and the console is completely trashed, and the only way to recover
is to switch back and forth from X (switching to another console does
not make any good!).
The bug appears only when using the vidix subdevice: playing with "-vo
vesa" works perfectly. It does not even appear for all files but just
for a few of them.
You can find a small example of the bad ones at
    http://members.aol.com/clanipp/movie.mpg

Below I am including all data about my system (info on mplayer should
all be included in the mplayer log file I am attaching to the email) but
first I have a naif question about the known vesa "black screen" bug:
since switching console back and forth "unblanks" the console , why is
not possible to include in the vesa driver code a system call that
"simulates" a console switch after mplayer finishes playing?

System data:

Distribution Slackware 8.1 heavily patched

CPU:
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 1GHz

Kernel:
Linux descartes 2.4.20 #1 Thu Dec 19 12:13:46 UTC 2002 i686 unknown

libc:
/lib/libc-2.2.5.so

gcc:
Reading specs from /usr/local/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/specs
Configured with: ./configure  : (reconfigured) ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2

ldd:
GNU ld version 2.12.90.0.9 20020526

video card:
ATI Technologies Inc Radeon VE QY (rev 0).

audio card:
Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 5).

If you need any other info just let me know.
Thanks,
 Roberto