[MPlayer-users] TV sound ok with mencoder but fails with mplayer

Jaroslav Tulach jst at seznam.cz
Sat Dec 21 12:57:02 CET 2002

Hi.
I'd like to ask whether my problem with TV audio is a feature or a bug.

I have mandrake 9.0, bt878 tv chip, sound connected as line in into
soundcard and when I try to use

mencoder -tv
on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:width=384:height=288:forceaudio:forcechan=2:adevice=/dev/dsp
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1500 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
cbr:br=32 -o ~/x.avi

everything works fine and I can record TV together with sound, but when
I try to just watch the TV using

mplayer -tv
on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:width=384:height=288:forceaudio:forcechan=2:adevice=/dev/dsp

"Audio: no sound!!!" is printed and no sound is recorded. Is there a
technical reason for mencoder and mplayer behaving differently or it is
just a bug?

-jst

--
/**