[MPlayer-users] Feature Request: Make vobsub understand "slang"

Ed Fisher gleam at debacle.org
Sun Dec 22 12:54:02 CET 2002

I dunno if I made my request clear.

Right now -slang en doesn't work with vobsub subtitles, but it does work
fine with dvds.  Since vobsub subtitles are pretty much identical to the
dvd subtitles, and since they can have multiple languages, I was hoping
-slang en would also work for automatically choosing the english
subtitles out of a multiple-language vobsub file.

I did check the faq, the docs, and such, and found nothing.  Sorry if
this feature already exists, but I couldn't find any reference to it in
the docs, and the only "lang" options I found in cfg-common.h were alang
and slang.

So again, sorry if this is an oft-asked question, but I haven't seen any
answer to the problem.

I see reference to "langidx-tag" in vobsub idx files, but that simply
clears up an issue *creating* vobsubs with mplayer/mencoder, rather than
viewing them.  Again, I need/want a way to always have vobsubs presented
in english if available, perhaps even overriding the langidx-tag field
in the idx file.

I know I can switch by hitting j, but it'd be nice to not have to do
that (especially if I'm using a set-top box).

So, simply, mplayer should (in a perfect world) first check for -slang,
and if any of those languages are available, use them.  Barring that, it
should use the default langidx-tag in the idx file, and barring that it
should use idx 0.

Thanks,
gleam

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 12:07:02PM +0100, Arpi spake thus:

If what they've been doing hasn't solved the problem, tell them to
do something else.
	-- Gerald Weinberg, "The Secrets of Consulting"