[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding very large files

Angel angel at knight-industries.com
Mon Dec 23 22:55:03 CET 2002

> I'm trying to encode a 6.5GB raw RGB video clip to mpeg4 using mencoder. I
> can't persuade my postprocessing program to generate a 6.5GB OpenDML AVI
> under Wine (and I don't know whether even that would work if I could create
> one), so I've got four <2GB AVI segments to enocde into a single file.

You can try using mjpegtools. They have small program (I think its called
lav2yuv) that can take multiple files on the command line, convert them, and
then output them to stdout. You should be able to pipe that into the stdin of
mencoder. Its not going to be the most blazingly fast way to encode it... but
it should get the job done.

> The Problem is that mplayer/mencoder don't support OpenDML yet and A'rpi
> says that they are ugly hacks. So it isn't supported yet and I haven't found
> a workaround (using mencoder, that is) (seems that there are no known
> workarounds).

Mencoder may not officially support OpenDML files but it does work (at least
with the OpenDML files created by Kino). I posted this to the list a couple
days ago. I regularly use mencoder to encode 9+GB dv avi files created by
Kino.

-Angel