[MPlayer-users] [Question] Why 2 channel ac3

Anders Rune Jensen anders at gnulinux.dk
Tue Dec 24 06:59:02 CET 2002

hi

I've been wondering for a why some rip dvd's with only 2 channel ac3
and not 5.1? Sure they save bandwitdth but I mean if they just want to
save bandwidth they could have used ogg or mp3. I've heard something
about some amplifiers been able to "convert" that two channel to 5.1,
I think it's Dolby Pro Logic II. So does this produce as good quality
as 5.1? I guess if there is indeed such amplifiers that must be the
reason, since converting it back to ac3 from ogg would just be to
lossy I think.

My amplifiers when fed with ac3 2 channels just play it as 2 channels
even if I use dolby Pro Logic (I believe it's not Dolby Pro Logic II).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

PS: marry christmas to all of you from Denmark :-)

--
Anders Rune Jensen