[MPlayer-users] Re: Compilation error ......

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat Dec 28 01:29:02 CET 2002

I may be all wet on this but I was getting the "GENERAL_REGS"
error for a long time when I was trying to compile mplayer 0.90-pre10
on an athlon-mp machine using the stock gcc 3.2 in Mdk 9.0 (compiled
for i586).  I got many suggestions from this list but none helped.

Then, when I downloaded the (then) latest gcc .src.rpm from Mandrake
Cooker (gcc-3.2-4mdk) which is Mdk's developement dist., and built and
installed the compiler .rpm compiled for _my system_ (i.e., an athlon)
all my "GENERAL_REGS" errors vanished.  (I was getting the errors in
a different place than you but it was, like you, due to embedded
assembler code in the module it was dying on.)

                                  Dean S. Messing
                                  Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
                                  Information Systems Technologies Dept.
                                  Sharp Laboratories of America

Victor Soroka wrote:
 :: gcc -c  -Wall -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-label -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-multichar -march=athlon -mcpu=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -finline-functions -frename-registers -pipe -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -o imdct.o imdct.c
 :: In file included from imdct.c:400:
 :: imdct_3dnow.h: In function `fft_asmb16_3dnow':
 :: imdct_3dnow.h:267: can't find a register in class `GENERAL_REGS' while reloading `asm'
 :: make[1]: *** [imdct.o] Error 1
 :: make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/MPlayer-0.90rc2/liba52'
 :: make: *** [liba52/liba52.a] Error 2
 ::
 :: gcc-3.2.1