[MPlayer-users] Troubles with 3dfx banshee PCI

Mark Zealey mark at zealos.org
Sat Dec 28 11:52:01 CET 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 09:38:02PM -0600, James Lancaster wrote:

> On Friday 27 December 2002 17:39, you wrote:
> > I compiled mplayer with both the 3dfx options enabled (the ./configure help
> > wasn't very clear), but I cannot use the 3dfx or tdfx output for video (I
> > don't remeber the exact name: that box is disconnected from the Net and I'm
> > writing from a win box).
> >
> > It seems that the appropriate device is not present in the /dev folder.
> > Is there a way to fix this problem?
> >

> It isn't really a problem- tdfxfb is the framebuffer driver for tdfxfb in the
> kernel (and is broken btw), 3dfx was a driver for a kernel module someone
> made. Neither one of them is needed. Xv support works fine.

tdfxfb works fine here for everything that i need - i've had reports that it
does not work properly with gcc3.2 and maybe 3.1, and i'm looking into those.
The kernel module is a little dodgie, but tdfxfb beats the pants off Xv and as a
bonus, you don't need to run X. It uses /dev/fbX as the framebuffer device (but
you can change it via the -fb option.

--

Mark Zealey (aka JALH on irc.oftc.net: #zealos and many more)
mark at zealos.org; mark at itsolve.co.uk