[MPlayer-users] mencoder bitrate error problem

Robin Phillips r.phillips at jach.hawaii.edu
Mon Dec 30 01:43:03 CET 2002

>> Note the problem is that I give the bitrate as 1411 as suggested by the
>> output from the first pass. However the actual bitrate it uses during the
>> second pass is 1128 which then hardly changes during the 3rd pass.

>I see that you are using qmin=2 and the problem could be that you are
>"maxed-out" in terms of how many bits you can fit into a quantizer
>of 2.  Try using qmin=1 which will allow the maximum amount of bits
>to be used.

Well, I tried vqmin=1 but it doesn't make any noticable difference, so
that isn't it... Note that I wasn't using vqmin=1 because the man page
gives the allowable range as 2-31 (vqmax can be 1-31 though), I'm not sure
whether that is a mistake or not?

Is there also something wrong with the audio bit rate - I specified
abr:br=128 on the first pass but the audio stream is actually reporting
itself to be 113 kbits/s?

> > I note also that the bitrate for two CDs does not seem to be double
> > the bitrate for one CD which I can't make any sense out of.

> That is because the audio will be split between the 2 cd's, leaving
> more space for video on each.

Well, the answer is always obvious when you're given it :-)

Robin