[MPlayer-users] Re: Ogg (divx vid + vorbis audio)? (Was divx+ogg vorbis)

emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net
Tue Feb 5 01:29:03 CET 2002

This (support for encoding and playing back video into OGG format files,
presumably with vorbis audio) is one of the things I keep hoping someone will
get around to Real Soon Now.  I've gotten the impression that developers
were sort of hanging around waiting for a video codec from the Tarkin
project to go with Ogg before bothering with it, but as I understand it,
one CAN put video in some other encoding in Ogg as it exists now (this
thread seems to prove that...)

My own coding skills in C just aren't up to it, but if someone's willing
to cram ogg support into mencoder and mplayer, I can offer to help document
and test it...(Not much, I know, but it's SOMETHING...)

(This, a "VCD-compliant output" option for mencoder, and ability to render
subtitles into mencoder's output, and mplayer/mencoder will do EVERYTHING
that I can think of to hope for [mplayer/mencoder already handles just about
everything else!]. I gather that libvo2 already being worked on will deal
with some of this.  Thanks, developers!!!  I'll take 'rock solid and works
really well' over 'has pretty buttons' any day...)