[MPlayer-users] fulscreen...

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Feb 5 02:13:02 CET 2002

Attila Kinali writes:
 > On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:25:14 +0100
 > Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
 >
 > > I second that notion.  I would love to be able to switch to fullscreen
 > > with the commandline version of mplayer.  Then I would not need the
 > > gui anymore.  Will this get implemented in the future?
 >
 > No, there are technical problems:
 > 1)getting screen resolution (at the moment got by a hack if
 > X is running or -screenh, -screenw)
 > 2)black borders: would require to write into the memory range of the
 > console -> not a good idea
 >
 > I (and also the developers) suggest that you run xmga instead
 > (it has the same speed as it uses the same technique for mem access)

There is a misunderstanding here since two fullscreen threads are
overlapping.

The gui version of mplayer has a key (f) for toggling fullscreen mode,
which the commandline version lacks.  This is under X.  I and others
would love to be able to do this.

Viewing a movie on the console (no X) in fullscreen mode requieres a
lot of shenanigans like turning off the cursor and redirecting
output.  I and others would wish mplayer to do this for us.

Diego