[MPlayer-users] Do I still load radeon_vid when using vesa:vidix?

Brian J. Murrell 05dcb4a08b8608038ff76b338dbbd946 at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Feb 9 10:38:02 CET 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 12:05:08PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:

> Hello, Brian!

Hi Nick,

> No

OK.

> Do you mean quake?

Hmmmm.  Terminologies.  :-)  Judder, AFAIK is when what is supposed to
be smooth frame transitions looks jumpy.  This is always easiest to see
with videos that have smooth scrolling text.  Video captured from a
news channel or a stock channel is usually good because they ususally
have a smooth running right to left banner (i.e. stock ticker) at the
bottom of the screen.

When I capture CNN and encode it into an mpeg file and then play it
back with a G400 using syncfb, the banner at the bottom looks as
smooth as the broadcast (excepting for quite infrequent blips which
are more likely due to processor scheduling, etc.).  When I play back
with the Radeon, the banner is jumpy as it scrolls.

I am suspecting that this is because the frame switching is not
syncronized with the vsync refresh.

> Sometime I've met that but I guess that it's simply broken
> movie since with DVD everything fine.

I, unfortunately don't have a DVD drive to judge this.  But note
however that trying to notice judder in something like a "movie" is much
more difficult than with something smooth scrolling horizontally, like
text.

> In the old way. There is no difference between old radeon_vid kernel module
> and new vidix' one.

But with vidix there is no kernel module right?  Does the radeon work
similar to g400 in that you give frames to the card and the card takes
care of moving them to display memory during the vsync refresh, or
does radeon simply tell mplayer (or vidix I guess) when vsync refresh
is happening and mplayer/vidix is responsible for getting the frame
into the display buffer of the video card before vsync refresh is
done?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell