[MPlayer-users] vesa:vidix on my radeon is freezing my system quite frequently

Brian J. Murrell cd0380ee781820d4278f9c014404da2d at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Feb 10 19:22:02 CET 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:08:35PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> Hello, Brian!

Hi Nick,

> Because it's cause for freezing computer.

Do you mean an application memory leak or a kernel memory leak?  I am
using the same kernel on this machine I have been using for months,
and this is a case of a sudden freeze.  There is no
paging/swapping/sluggishness.

> > > Try the latest 2.4.18-pre.9 kernel.
> >
> > I will try that if all else fails.

On this note however, I must say, I have been using the same kernel
for months.  No upgrades whatsoever to it.  Why would it be causing
such drastic problems all of a sudden?

Now on the other hand, I update my mplayer cvs every few days.

> You should play .mp3 in XMMS. Then try change equalizer
> and determine which time will be spend for real changing sound.
> I asked: when video is frozen - does mplayer work? (according to audio playback)
> or it's just audio cache?

I would say it's just audio cache because the whole OS is frozen.  It
will not even answer an ICMP ping, change consoles, etc.  There is no
way it is mplayer playing the sound over and over again.

> > > Also try -vc ffmpeg12 insted of libmpeg2.
> >
> > I will try that too.  Generally speaking, which is the better lib?
> Which works ;)

OK... hangs using ffmpeg12 as well, although CPU usage is lower with
ffmpeg12 than libmpge2.  I like that,  :-)

How can we eliminate the Radeon driver as being the problem before I
go the the greater efforts of downgrading my binutils and upgrading my
kernel?  How much video do I have to play through another "vo" (i.e.
the null vo) without hanging to prove it is the Raeon vo driver?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell