[MPlayer-users] vesa:vidix on my radeon is freezing my system quite frequently

Brian J. Murrell 57a638eb4364da09af2e90d9d94b953b at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Feb 10 20:57:02 CET 2002

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 10:12:29PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> Hello, Brian!

Hi Nick,

Before I start responding, where can I get your PGP/GPG key?  It does
not seem to be listed in the keyservers.  Each time I open a mail from
you, my MUA pauses while it tries to fetch the key.  If it were in my
keyring, I would not have this pause.

> kernel

OK, but like I said, the freeze can come on in as little as a few
minutes or 30-40.  This kind of wild fluctuation does not sound like a
kernel memory leak to me.

> When you use mplayeer then you use other parts of kernel (vm86 for example)

The machine I am using mplayer on does nothing other than build
mplayer and play it, so if it's not mplaying, it's idle.

> Therefore - kernel hangs (or its drivers).

Right.

> Radeon driver can't be a problem since it doesn't use anything except video registers.

As long as one is unable to hang the machine (or put it's resources in
a deadlock, etc.) by tickling registers.  The Radeon video card would
not be the first card to lock up a machine by having it's registers
tickled in the wrong way.

> But if your problem is reproducable then try the same with vo null as experiment.

I did.  Played a full hour long video with no hang.  I have just
started what is supposed to be a 3 hour video.  My bet is that it will
finish.

> And the last, try:
> --disable-sse

My current mplayer binary was built with --disable-sse.

> downgrade binutils and ld
> upgrade kernel (there was fixed memory leak in ppp driver and something other ;)

But if it plays fine with vo null, does this not eliminate the ld and
kernel from being the problem?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell