[MPlayer-users] can't seek through complete avi file (1.9G) - any hints?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Feb 11 23:34:01 CET 2002

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 07:43:11PM +0100, David Holm wrote:
> I have deleted the start of this thread so I'm not sure what it relates
> to. But there has been a lively discussion of filesystems on the LUGG
> mailinglist recently, and apparently ext2 and ext3 can't handle files
> bigger than 2GB, you need either ReiserFS or XFS for that.

Not true! ext2/ext3 CAN handle much more larger files than 2Gb. The limiting
factor WAS the VFS layer, not the filesystem (because of 31 bit file offsets.
why 31 bit? because you can seek to negative  adresses as well, eg seeking
before the current position). This is the limitation of 32 bit architecture
(while a file system is block based, so it's much easy to implement big files
within the filesystem than VFS layer). However newer Linux kernels introduces
new syscalls (well, for being correct it's the same syscall with a flag in
'flags' at open and larger - 63 bit? - offsets). You need recent glibc to
use these features as well, though. It's a common fault that people think:
ext2 is limited to 2Gb files. This is false.

Actually, it's just enough to read description of ext2 fs inside the
kernel source tree (Documentation/filesystems/ext2.txt):

"Filesystem block size:     1kB        2kB        4kB        8kB

File size limit:          16GB      256GB     2048GB     2048GB
Filesystem size limit:  2047GB     8192GB    16384GB    32768GB

There is a 2.4 kernel limit of 2048GB for a single block device, so no
filesystem larger than that can be created at this time.  There is also
an upper limit on the block size imposed by the page size of the kernel,
so 8kB blocks are only allowed on Alpha systems (and other architectures
which support larger pages)."

So only a LITTLE RTFM could help to prevent you saying false information :)

> //David
>
> On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 19:35, Marcus Blomenkamp wrote:
> > SycOtiC Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Just a thought, did you '--enable-largefiles' on your ./configure?  1.9GB
> > > is close to the limit form what I understand, the filesize may be 'too close'
> > > to the 2GB limit to find the correct index maybe?
> >

> > Tried that, did not help :-(
> >
> > > Or maybe the index is corrupt?
> >

> > My suggestion too, not a single program (mencoder, transcode) produces a
> > valid/complete index section for this file.
> >
> > Thanks anyway, Marcus

- Gábor