[MPlayer-users] Resizing annoyance...

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Wed Feb 13 01:09:22 CET 2002

Markus Schneider wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm wondering if someone has found a more convenient way to cope with
> this:
>
>    * my X-Server usually runs at 1024x768
>    * my TV-Out (Geforce, Brooktree 869) does resolutions up to 800x600
>    * usually I switch to TV using the fine nvtv tool from Dirk
>      Thierbach (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/) and resize
>      mplayer's window to fit exactly the TV screen

Hey cool, i did not know of this tool.  Something more to play with.

> I did some research on the problem with the virtual resolution, but it
> seems to me that once you start X you always have the virtual
> resolution set to the highest one available...

Some ideas:
1) Use NVIDIAs TwinView to enable the TV-Out as a seperate xinerama
screen.  Then you  have one "XDisplay" that is two screens wide and can
have the CRT at 1024x768 and TV at 800x600.  Tell mplayer to display on
the 2nd screen (-xineramascreen 1) and it will display only on the TV
screen and will detect 800x600 so full screen will work properly.

2) With your prepared 800x600 XF86Config, you can start a second
instance of the XServer running with that config, without having to stop
your first instance.  "startx -- :1 -xf86config
/etc/X11/myTVOutXF86Config".  This is much more convienient.  You can
switch back and forward with Ctrl+Alt+F8 and Ctrl+Alt+F7, and with the
-xf86config switch you don't have to swap config files around in
/etc/X11 either.

3) With your current setup, use -screenw and -screenh to override the
screen size detection, this should make -fs display 800x600 even though
the virtual resolution is greater.