[MPlayer-users] DVD playing

Samuel Maftoul maftoul at esrf.fr
Wed Feb 13 13:30:01 CET 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:32:18PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Ok, I have read all docs and mailing list for one month and I dont know why
> > my dvd playing is  takeing  more cpu power then on Windows with powerDvd.
> >
> > It is almost 2 time more of CPU time. But this is not so disturbing , the
> > worse are short stops which are causing tha mplayer displays that my computer
> > is to slow for playng this movie. On windows there are no stops and it takes
> >
> > 25 % of cpu time.
> >
> > I have tried all options including
> > -ni -mc -cache -ao null
> > it is always the same . I have tried MPlayer 0.60 and current.
> >
> > My dvd is 24X . compiler gcc 3.0.3
> >
> > any clues ????
>
> nothing...
> you should include very detailed hw info...
> i bet it's your vga card (maybe linux drivers slower than windows ones for it
> or can't use hw acceleration what windows uses etc) or buggy soundcard...
>
> read docs/bugreports.html
> and include _ALL_ those infos listed there
> (at leats sw, hw info, mplayer -v logs including status line and -benchmark
> runs)
>
> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
Have you ( A'rpi ) ever done any benchmark with the reverse engineered
mpeg2 decoder ?
I have a friend at work who codes one of the best program under windows
to rip DVDs and now play them ( It's called dvdx and is a real concurent
to flask ) and this friend told me that there are no good open mpeg2
decoder neither under windows nor linux because It's reversed engineered
and so you have no specs ... Is this right ?
He says his soft which is a pretty nice one , which he thinks somewhat
powerfull, eats 2 times CPU more than power-dvd and that just because
his assembly optimized routines are not the best ones ( according to him
). Is this really right ?
        Sam