[MPlayer-users] Excessive * audio codec cpu usage

SycOtiC Smith sycotic at onebox.com
Wed Feb 13 18:16:02 CET 2002

>hmm. i think it won't show any valid values if other processes with high
>cpu usage are running at the same time (like mencoder).
>it emasures real time (not process time) and if the decoding process is
>interrupted by scheduler and the other process work for some time, it
> will look like the decoder eat that cpu...
>i don't know any method to measure only the process' cpu time.

Have you looked at the sources for 'top' and/or 'gtop'?  They seem to be able to pinpoint the percentages
fine...  just my $0.02 on that part.

Other part, he isn't encoding on the same machine, so basically he is only running minimal system
with mplayer 'streaming' the file across nfs.  From my experience, this works well, IF the HDD on
both ends are fast enough to keep up with cacheing and/or swap.  YMMV.

/S. Smith