[MPlayer-users] asf to avi bugreport

gabor gabor at host.sk
Sat Feb 16 20:18:01 CET 2002

> hmm. i forgot to say... .asf files has no fixed framerate (at leats it is
> not in the header) so you SHOULD specify it by using -ofps option of
> mencoder. experience wiht some values to get minimal skipped/dupped frames.
> hint: mplayer -v prints calculated fps for asf files, sometimes it's
> constant and can be used for -ofps, sometimes meaningless.

ok,

i checked mplayer -v , it told me fps=12

so i used mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ofps 12 small.asf -o out.avi
now mencoder skipped frames every 0.1 seconds but out.avi was much better,
thanks

the audio was ok, but the video...it's hard to describe... the quality is
better than before, but still worse than the asf
for example at the beginning there is a title picture which fades into black.
in the asf it's ok, but in the avi the while fading i can see those
rectangular areas in the avi

.... i checked ... mplayer  used the same video codec for
the asf and for the avi ( mpeg4ds )...
so how can the quality be worse?

bye,
gabor