[MPlayer-users] Which card should I buy for TV-out?

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Sun Feb 17 11:57:02 CET 2002

Brian Hall wrote:

>P.S. I think Nvidia has tv-out support from Linux, but you have to use
>their binary-only drivers.
>
>On Saturday 16 February 2002 04:46 pm, you wrote:
>
>>> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
>>> DOCS/bugreports.html] Hi,

Yup, a cheap Geforce2-MX would be a great choice.

While the excellently supported binary only drivers will give you
flawless TV-Out support, they are not the only option.  There is an
opensource tool to dynamically toggle the tv out on and off and tune its
output.  It works independantly of the binary only drivers.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out

I actually prefer it now because you can dynamically turn on the tv
output, whereas with xinerama you have to decide what screen
configuration you are going to use before you start the X Server.  So
you start the xserver, two weeks later you want to watch a movie so you
have to restart the xserver, or start a second instance, real PITA.
 With the nvtv tool you just dynamically turn on the tv-out :)